Research, Nominating and Judging Process
Throughout the year, the Art Research Committee searches to identify the best exhibitions and installations across the globe. The basis for the research and selection of nominees is ongoing and thorough review of over 50 sources of art editorial and critique. More than 200 museums and 2,000 exhibitions are vetted during the process.
In addition to the research-based nominations, GFAA accepts open calls from museums, biennials, fairs, galleries and other art organizations. Individual patrons may nominate their favorite exhibitions as well. Submissions for the 2016 GFAA awards ended on June 15, 2016.
In the summer, the Nominating Committee convenes to review the list of all potential nominees, and deliberates to select a proposed slate for the judges.
The Judges review the proposed slate, then make additions and deletions to create the official list of nominees. The 2016 Nominees will be announced in early October. The Judges vote for the top contenders in each award category to recognize the award Finalists. A final round of judging and deliberation is done to select the winners- one in each award category.
GFAA will announce the Nominees via international press release, and on the GFAA website, on October 6, 2016. Finalists will be announced before November 1. The winners are announced live at the award ceremony in February, 2017.
The program has expanded this year to include 3 new awards and a total of 78 Nominees across 5 continents, 22 countries and 52 cities- from Beijing to Boston, from Melbourne to Montreal. The 2016 Nominees are diverse in size, style and provenance; with 32 (40%) from the top 100 art museums visited in the world (April 2015, The Art Newspaper), and the other 46 (60%).
Each year a final award, Youniversal, is determined by online public voting. All nominees are eligible to win this coveted award. Voting will take place beginning the end of October, 2016 for approximately two weeks.
The Award Categories
This year, the final slate of nominees will include approximately 5 to 10 entrants in these 11 award categories:
The 2016 GFAA Jury is comprised of these highly-esteemed art professionals:
GFAA Research and Nominating Committees
What Selected Nominees receive
All Nominees and Finalists will be featured in extensive public relations and on the GFAA website. Additionally, GFAA will create a uniquely curated video for each of the Finalists, which will be presented at the Award Ceremony, on the website and social media channels. All Nominees and Finalists are invited as our guests to the Award Ceremony on Saturday, February 4, 2017, when the Winners will be revealed live at the red carpet gala.
For more information:
GFAA President and CEO
+1.917.589.0247 | email@example.com